Veal Pot Roast with Root Vegetables from Simple Bites.
A Sunday dinner favorite of slow cooked veal roast, seasoned with orange zest and surrounded by an assortment of root vegetables.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 lb boneless veal roast, tied
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled and halved
- 2 white turnips, peeled and quartered
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 orange, scrubbed
- 1 cup chicken or veal stock
- Heat a large cast iron pan over high heat and add the olive oil. Season the roast all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast in the hot pan and sear it on all sides. This will take a good ten minutes; don’t rush it.
- Transfer the roast to a slow cooker.
- In the same hot cast iron pan, add in carrots and parsnips. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are slightly caramelized. Add the vegetables to the slow cooker. Repeat with turnips and garlic. You may have to add a little more oil to the pan.
- Tuck all the vegetables around the roast in the slow cooker. Zest the orange over the top and add the thyme. Cut orange in half and juice it into the slow cooker. Add the stock.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook roast for 5 hours on low.
Posted in Meal Ideas with Veal