- Pre-heat an oven to 350ºF.
- For the meatloaf soak the bread in milk until it becomes very soft, drain off excess liquid, puree the soaked bread until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a small sauté pan. Sweat the onions and garlic until tender, about 2 minutes. Let cool and set aside for later use.
- Mix the ground veal, pureed bread, cooled onions and garlic, heavy cream, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper until fully incorporated. The mixture should have a sticky or tacky appearance.
- Shape into a loaf and place in loaf pan; use a little water on the outside to smooth out any bumps or high spots.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes or the internal temperature has reached 165°F.
- Let cool and cut (4) 3 ounce slices for the Banh Mi sandwiches.
- Reserve the rest refrigerated for other use.
- For the Vietnamese Mayonnaise mix all the ingredients together and reserve for later use.
- For the carrot and daikon salad, combine sugar, water, vinegar, and salt. Add vegetables and let marinate for several hours or overnight. Remove and drain when ready to use.
- Pound cutlets thin and apply a standard breading procedure: blot dry, season with salt, pepper and paprika, dredge in flour, then into egg, then bread crumbs. Make sure to press panko bread crumbs into veal.
- Heat oil in medium sauté pan to about 350°F over medium heat (until shimmering but not smoking). Working in batches, add the breaded veal to the hot oil and pan fry on the first side for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn once and finish pan frying on the second side, about 2 minutes more or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Drain briefly on absorbent paper towels and use immediately.
- To assemble the Banh Mi, spread the bottom half of the toasted baguette with Vietnamese mayonnaise, top with the sliced veal and the meatloaf. Top with cucumber slices, Pickled Carrot and Daikon Salad and cilantro leaves. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the filling and top with the other half of the baguette.
Nutrition information per serving: 616 k/Cal; 34 g protein; 56 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 29 g fat; 7 g saturated fat; 126 mg cholesterol; 955 mg sodium.