1. In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat.
2. Add the plum tomato, tomato purée, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Remove and discard the bay leaf; transfer the mixture to a food processor and coarsely blend.
4. Set aside and keep warm.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the veal, chopped mushrooms, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and chopped parsley.
3. Form the meat mixture into 1-1/2 ounce meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a sheet pan that has been lightly coated with oil.
4. Place the sheet pan in the oven for 30 minutes or until the meatballs have browned and reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
5. Add the cooked meatballs to the tomato sauce and braise them for 45-60 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.
Nutrition information per serving: 277 k/Cal; 17 g protein; 29 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 10 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 102 mg cholesterol; 1356 mg sodium.