Recipe developed by Kimberly Killebrew at The Daring Gourmet
The Daring Gourmet, www.daringgourmet.com
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Place the veal steaks in a ziplock bag and pour in the marinade, massaging the steaks to evenly distribute the marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight. Reserve the marinade.
- Heat the grill and place a cast iron skillet for the vegetables on the opposite side of the grill over indirect heat to begin warming. Place the steaks over high, direct heat and briefly sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness of cut), turning at a 45-degree angle to create grill marks. You can use an instant read thermometer for doneness: For medium-rare it’s 115-120°F., for medium it’s 125-130°F. Transfer the steaks to a plate and tent with aluminum foil for 10 minutes while you cook the vegetables.
- Using a grilling mitt, move the cast iron skillet over direct high heat. Add some oil, add the vegetables and sear them, stirring every 90 seconds or so for 5-6 minutes total or until very lightly charred and so they’re still a little crisp. Add salt, pepper, cilantro and pour in the reserved marinade. Stir to combine and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Slice the steaks across the grain. Arrange the steak strips and the vegetables on cast iron serving platters with some lime wedges and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- To assemble the fajitas, place some steak on the warmed tortillas followed by your toppings of choice. Serve immediately.