Recipe Developed by Shelby Ruttan
Sponsored by the New York Beef Council
Crispy Veal Cutlets with Creamy Dijon Sauce are panko-crusted, then quickly fried in a hot skillet. To finish, drizzle with a pan sauce and top them off with crispy fried shallots for an easy, delicious and nutritious weeknight dinner that is on your table in under 30 minutes!
Breading your Veal:
- Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Set out your flour mixture, eggs, and panko crumbs on separate plates.
- Dip the veal cutlet as follows: First dip in the flour mixture, then dip in egg, and finally dip in panko, making sure cutlet is covered well in the crumbs.
- Place veal cutlet on tray and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Prepare the Shallots:
- Melt butter in skillet until hot and bubbly.
- Add thinly sliced shallots to hot butter and stir to coat.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until shallots are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside until ready to assemble plate.
Cook your Veal:
- Place cutlet in a hot skillet coated with olive oil. Your cutlet should sizzle as soon as it is placed in the skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until browned and crispy, then flip and cook 2nd side another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Place cooked cutlets in warm oven (200 degrees) to keep warm while you make the sauce.
Prepare the pan sauce:
- Add chicken broth, Dijon mustard, heavy cream, and lemon juice to same skillet you cooked the cutlets in.
- Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer about 3-4 minutes, until sauce has begun to thicken.
Assemble your dinner plate:
- Place 2 cutlets on dinner plate.
- Drizzle with about 1-2 tablespoons of pan sauce (we like more sauce)
- Top cutlets with crispy shallots and serve.
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
SERVING SIZE: 1/4 recipe Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 383 TOTAL FAT: 25g SATURATED FAT: 11g CHOLESTEROL: 207mg SODIUM: 380mg CARBOHYDRATES: 18g FIBER: 1g SUGAR: 4g PROTEIN: 23g