Recipe developed by Kimberly Killebrew at The Daring Gourmet
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten free: Use GF breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
For the Kabobs
- 1 fresh, ripe pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 2/3 cup low sugar apricot, peach or orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- To make the sweet & sour sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients, except for the cornstarch, in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the meatballs, thoroughly combine all the meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Yields about 24 meatballs.
- Alternately thread six bamboo or metal skewers with the meatballs (4 on each skewer), pineapple and vegetables. Brush with about half of the sweet & sour sauce.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grill grates with some oil. Grill the kabobs about 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly seared and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Brush the kabobs with remaining sweet and sour sauce and serve immediately.
These kabobs are a perfect time-saving, make-ahead meal. You can make the sauce and thread the skewers well in advance and then keep both covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
Posted in General