Photo and recipe by MaryFrancesCooks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters and then 1/4″ slices
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 10 cups vegetable broth or vegetable pho
- 5 ounces’ brown rice udon noodles
- 4 kale stalks- main artery removed, rolled and cut in chiffonade
- 1/3 of a bunch of beet greens, stalks separated from greens and greens sliced thin
- ¾ of an orange pepper cut into 1/3″ squares
- ¼ cup chopped oil-cured black olives
- 1 tomatillo chopped
- 1 handful sorrel leaves, leaves sliced, stems chopped for garnish (or use sliced scallions)
- Salt to taste
- Warm the olive oil with the onions in a large skillet. Cover and sweat the onions for 5 minutes on low heat. Add the ground veal and brown partially, until just pink and broken up into small chunks. Add the curry powder and salt to taste. Stir well to combine.
- Meanwhile pour the broth into a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Add the udon and cook 2 minutes less than the package directions.
- Turn heat to low and add the meat and all the rest of the vegetables, except for the sorrel stems. Stir for a minute or two. Add the chopped olives at the very end.
- Serve immediately in bowls with chopsticks and LOVE. Garnish with the chopped sorrel stems, or you could use thinly sliced scallions.
Posted in General