GOURMET MAY 2007
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
PHOTO BY ROMULO YANES
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus 1/4 cup sprigs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Accompaniment: steamed white rice
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 500°F.
- Pour milk over bread crumbs in a large bowl and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add ground meat, egg, water chestnuts, salt, chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons oil and mix with your hands until combined well. Shape 3 tablespoons meat mixture into a ball and transfer to a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish. Make more meatballs with remaining mixture, arranging meatballs about 1/2 inch apart in baking dish. Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together lime juice, water, sugar, remaining 4 tablespoons soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer meatballs to a serving dish. Stir sauce, then drizzle meatballs with 1 tablespoon sauce and sprinkle with cilantro sprigs.
- Serve meatballs with remaining sauce.
Calories 515, Carbohydrates12 g (4%), Fat36 g (55%), Protein35 g (70%), Saturated Fat12 g (62%), Sodium1311 mg (55%), Polyunsaturated Fat5 g, Fiber1 g (4%), Monounsaturated Fat16 g, Cholesterol151 mg (50%), per serving (4 servings)
Posted in Meal Ideas with Veal