Recipe developed by Kimberly Killebrew at The Daring Gourmet
Makes 6 Kabobs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1. To make the sweet & sour sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients, except for the cornstarch, in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Set aside until ready to use.
2. To make the meatballs, thoroughly combine all the meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Yields about 24 meatballs.
3. Alternately thread six bamboo or metal skewers with the meatballs (4 on each skewer), pineapple and vegetables. Brush with about half of the sweet & sour sauce.
4. Heat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grill grates with some oil. Grill the kabobs about 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly seared and the meatballs are cooked through.
5. Brush the kabobs with remaining sweet and sour sauce and serve immediately.
These kabobs are a perfect time-saving, make-ahead meal. You can make the sauce and thread the skewers well in advance and then keep both covered and refrigerated until ready to use.